Saturday, November 12, 2005

On Pat Robertson

The issue of intelligent design versus evolution is the dominant, explosive springboard into the broader argument over the separation of Church and State. We cannot question that our Fathers founded a State in which Religion must not be governed. And for Religion to escape governmental control it simply cannot emerge in the government's many spheres of influence. "What is Caesar's, give to Caesar. What is God's, give to God." A horrific paraphrase, yet spoken by Jesus Christ and, I think, a fundamental guideline to how Christians should approach their relationships with Government and God. Identity is as fluid as relationships - fluid meaning inherently dynamic. Therefore, relationships with God and Government do change and have always changed. However, we have guidelines and should strive to meet them in ways that promote the words of our Fathers.

Sadly, those guidelines are being blurred, if not erased, by the oncoming tide of so-called Evangelical Christians. The greatest manifestation of this tide are the various battles in many states that strive to inject the theory of Intelligent Design alongside the theory of Evolution in the classroom. I have often justified the struggle because of my own struggles with Evolution. However, as I see these fights and the continued polarization, if not hatred, they inspire, I realize I simply cannot justify the desire to teach Intelligent Design in addendum to Evolution. I believe Evolution is still not enough to explain the complexities of the natural world. Yet to go as far as I would like to explaining the world, would be to announce and explore the Creator side by side with the Creation. But I will not and cannot condone the teaching of such in public education. If the thought of Intelligent Design is only a hop, skip, and a jump to God for most people, then so be it - reason enough not to consider it a part of the curriculum. The bridge to God is obviously why most people believe in Design. And strikingly, to imply Design is to imply a Designer. Our educational system does not exist as a trumpeter of faith - faith the act of belief in facets of this world that exist outside of man. We can't allow the government to be in the business of promoting faith, even if it is ambiguous (especially if it's not ambiguous at all). So that leaves one option to teachers and parents who choose to become involved in public education - the study of only the natural world and Evolution.

To be honest, I don't know what I believe when it comes to Evolution. The adaptation of the species is a fact of history and the fossil record. I have studied adaptation in way that make the history and fact of it unquestionable. And yet I struggle to accept the proposed logic of the argument that since we can see adaptation, therefore it must be part of a larger process that encompassed eons instead of thousands of years - that process being Evolution. I recently read an article positing the fact and theory of Evolution and am reading a book regarding the unification of Christian belief and the fact of Evolution - both efforts of mine to increase my knowledge about a subject which often stupefies me. I've no doubt that many who could read this would simply chalk my difficulties of belief to my the blindness of my Belief. I express no doubt about that because I know such holds a great deal of truth. Foremost is the issue of time: Evolution is defined by time and the ability through those trillions of days to allow growth, change, and selection. I don't know, man, but that's pretty freakin' hard to believe in. And while I do realise I believe in an entity whose existance is proved through the words of a book, the feelings of heart, and other fuzzy experiences, I find it fundamentally hard to accept that all things can be reduced to chaos. ...Charles Darwin charges that his theory allows for the complete reducibility of complexity. And yet, within Evolutionary science there is a phenomenon called the Irreducibility Complex which establishes that (for the sake of simplicity) the motor that moves bacterium cannot be reduced by the theories of science even though it is constructed of smaller units, proteins. And I don't know what to do with that knowledge (knowledge gained by researched scientific claims of Intelligent Designs, so who knows, it might just be the creation of some desperate Christian). **If I am wrong on any of this, enlighten me. I do not present any of it besides my belief in God with 100% certainy. I never wish to speak falsely, so correct me if I have.**

Regardless. While I may not be able to reconcile my belief in an almighty God with a much established scientific fact and do not possess enough knowledge to satisfy my unsated desire, I do know one simple thing: humanity does not speak for God. And even more, Christians neither possess the complete voice or mind of God.

Thus, I say without hesistance or regret: Fuck you, Pat Robertson.

I am a Christian, unapologetically and joyously. As a rational human being, I would gladly turn my back on God to escape the entanglements of devotion, sacrifice, and unadulterated love. Yet I cannot and will not because of the joy, revelation, and communion I experience on levels that define and equate spirituality and physicality. However, I have come to learn one simple thing in my life: I hate most Christians.

That may seem ridiculously harsh and perhaps even hypocritical - these people, these Christians are supposed to be my brothers and sisters in a union that is should define our experience in life. But I deny that supposed harshness. I hate them because they are either no more my brothers or sisters than my cat or because they hide, obscure that relationship so well they may very well be just another whore on the street. I often express my hatred in humour - such as after seeing the "Women's Bible," a Bible constructed as a woman's magazine, or the "Hunter's Bible," dressed in fatigues. I think to myself, "the stupid things these people come up with to justify themselves in this world." But this hatred for Pat Robertson drives forth out of disgust and sadness.

In response to the upsurption of 8 of the 9 Dover, PA school board members (all of whom favoured and voted for the inclusion of Intelligent Design), Robertson said, "I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: If there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God. You just rejected him from your city." He then attempted to clarify himself with this: "our spiritual actions have consequences." Yes, and all that we do and say also have consequences...whatever those consequences might be.

Pat Robertson typifies exactly what I hate about most Christians - this self-important, self-aggrandaized, self-righteous demeanor that pervades all that they are, especially their relationship with God (at least the relationship that I can see). They go so far, I think, to define even God through themselves. So, I suppose, then, they have no problem with encouraging murder (Chavez) and calling down the judgment of God. It disgusts me that Robertson even mentioned God's name in his fury over some stupid council election. And it saddens me that a man looked up to by millions calls down judgment over political beliefs without any reaction from the Christian faith who should be as horrified as I by this self-important stripe of a man. I have learned by my faith and my walks in this world not to judge those who surround me. There is already a Judge, I believe, who is Christ. He judged (and will) those who deserved to be judged (the hypocrites) and spent his time with the perceived dregs of society. And yet Robertson uses His name to chastise those who would dare defy some ridiculous ideology - the people, no doubt, Robertson perceives to be the dregs of our society.

Who are you to call down a reign of fire? Who are you to speak for God? Who are you to judge in His name?

You are no one, not a thing, and not God.

So fuck off, Pat Robertson.

3 comments:

qta said...

you are amazing. thank you for being real, thank you for being a christian in the true sense and for calling out the hipocrisy of Pat Robertson... something that christians should be doing in mass. thank you, thank you, thank you.

I am PS: said...

I know not what was clever about it, but thank you. Both of y'all, thanks.

Now if only the courage to make sure more than...9 people saw this.

qta said...

hopefully more than 9 will see it. i posted a tribute to you and to this post on my blog today... i get, on average, about 100 readers every day... so maybe some of them will come and check out your mad brilliance.