Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Boy, Grab that Ass

The above refers to the most recent Smallville episode which ended with Lana hugging Clark with all her might, thinking her man had died from a bullet. (And no, the girl ain't that dim, he did actually die.) Yet as Lana embraced Clark, she did it in such a way that created about a foot and a half distance between her feet and the floor. It is in this position where one assumes the huggee to grab the hugger's ass and bring those legs to a more comfortable position around said huggee's waist. At least this is what I thought during the closing moments of Smallville. And so, I said, to myself, "Boy, grab that ass." It just seemed so very wrong to just leave her hanging like that. It was as if she were attempting to give Clark a high-five and he ignored her wanting, waiting hand. I felt it most rude. However, I suppose one must make allowances for Superboy. He had just died. Lionel had just channeled Jor-El (kick ass!) who informed him that "someone you love must die." I admit, rather weighty stuff. Perhaps weighty enough to push the natural thought of "grabbing ass" to the side. Perhaps.

(I really miss Elisabeth. We have about the same height difference as the doomed pair cited above after I thought, "Boy, grab that ass," I also thought, "I'd like to hug Elisabeth." And then, to solidify how pathetic I felt during that moment, I audibly sighed the following - which made me think of Damion - "Awwwwwwwww.")

This brings me to the subject of Superman, a subject which I am very likely to revist in the coming months and months.

Dude, Superman is all sorts of cool! While I do love Batman, Superman exists on another plane. Not a better plane, mind you, just a different one - 'cause he isn't a plane, don't you know.

Virtue and strength. Those words embody the attraction of Superman. As I think about it, a Christ-like figure. Only a little bit more bulgy and slightly more fallible. And tights. Superman loves his tights. And he loves defending the defenseless.

That action and the desire to perform such an action is fascinating. Some people may have the power to defend those who cannot defend themselves. But, more often than not, the powerful exist and live for the sole purpose of becoming more powerful. It takes something beyond power to save the poor, the weak. There must be this idea that, given such power, or even given the want of power, one "should" defend and act on behalf of those who cannot act. That idea of necessity and need is powerful in and of itself. Who would choose self-sacrifice over self-indulgence? I would gladly sacrifice for those whom I love. Yet I love them, there is a need there for me to provide and protect them. While I like to think I try and do small things that serve others, I don't know how willing I would be to lay down my life for the charge and benefit of others.

So the creation of a character that embodies service in our modern world is an incredible exploration of what it means to sacrifice and live for lives that are not your own. As I mentioned before, I seriously consider Superman to be a Christ-like figure. Just as those who are Christians are called to live as Christ lived, so I think Superman exists as epitome of human character - powerful, kind, and willing to serve. Whether or not Superman as the pinnacle of human character for societies outside of the USA, I can't say. However, Superman seems to unify not only the American ideals of individualism (for he is one man) and strength, but also kindness and self-sacrifice. Yes, I would argue that even in today's America, there remains an ideal, nomatter how far away it is or diluted it has become, which defines Superman and justifies not only his creation but our continued infatuation with him.

Or just mine.

And Jerry Seinfeld's.

2 comments:

qta said...

I Live for your blog!!!!!!

I am PS: said...

*blushes*

shush!