Saturday, March 04, 2006

Grey's Anatomy: Season 1



My mother became a nurse. Then she was awarded her Masters in Nursing. She then applied to and was accepted into the doctoral of medicine program at Washington University. Then my father swooped in, ringed her, and snuck her away to Pennsylvania. The bastard, though I love him.

My mom is an amazing woman, truly amazing. She defines, in a lot of ways, the kind of woman I want to marry. Someone I can trust implicitly, rely on, and can admire. And of course have hot, hot sex with. But since my mom has nothing to do with that bit...the admirable traits will do just fine. She was accepted into a really good program of medicine and would have become a doctor.

I imagine her being as good a doctor as she is a nurse. And she is a fucking A nurse. Really. I don't believe she is bitter about letting go of the chance to become a doctor. In fact, I know she isn't. But I often wonder what life would have held for her if her husband had followed her instead of the other way around (of course, he couldn't have due to his visa restrictions). Such a rather large "what might have been" and it doesn't bother my mom in the slightest. I still wonder though.

Needless to say (remember: nurse, wanted to become a doctor, program in Washington, and, oh yeah, lived in Seattle), the woman has wanted to see Grey's Anatomy for a while. Actually, I do believe she had no idea it was set in Seattle, but nomatter. She wanted it and we got it. Badda bing, badda boom. Least I can do for erasing 2 years worth of pictures, eh? Yeah, the least...

What a brilliant show. I never got the hoopla surrounding Desperate Houswives, too bitchy for me I suppose. (I'd really like to sit down with that first season at some point and explore why I never sought it out even after watching a few episodes.) But, Mr. Wilely E. Coyote, I get this.

Location and set: Picturesque.

Camera: Smart.

Music: Fab.

Cast: Fabulous.

I was really excited after I saw the first episode because TV has to be damn good (or just full of giggles which, admittedly, a ton of "bad" TV shows are) to draw me in. And Grey's Anatomy did just that. It's smart, deliciously so.

Smart, smart, smart, smart, smart...I just like saying the word smart. Smart, smart, smart. (Classic newspaper cartoon reference. Anyone, anyone?)

To end. Sandra Oh is probably as thin as Ellen Pompeo, the show's star. Yet, the skinniness seems to fit Oh's body type. Pompeo, on the other hand, strikes me as one of those people whose body is almost completely wasted away. Really weirding me out, man. In her scrubs she looks about 10 years old. Now compare how she looks to how Sarah Chalke fills out her scrubs, delightfully un-10 year oldish.

(Great Grey's Anatomy reference in last weeks Scrubs.)

2 comments:

qta said...

I ADORE this show! Sandra Oh is the SHIT!!!!!!

I am PS: said...

Righteous, my brother.