Friday, March 24, 2006

What the Hell Happened Last Night?

What follows will be a rant in the vein of sport.

Last night: LSU defeated Duke handily. Gonzaga shot itself in the head and let UCLA run rampant all over their clenched asses. Texas beat West Virginia. I could care less about the Texas/WVU match. However, the previous two games inspire my mouth...or fingers in this case.

The Duke loss does not surprise me. The way the team teetered off towards the end of the season, espcially their horrifying loss to Chapel Hill, almost made them a lock for "great team on paper with no ability to play the big game." Coach K for Duke said it best when he declared that they were never a dominant team. LSU's incredible defense certainly showed that. It's a sad note for JJ Redick (Duke shooting star) to end his career with such a pathetic game but perhaps deserved just to assure that he doesn't get too much praise.

Now, after dissing one scoring champion I will now castigate the March Madness gods for letting Adam Morrison and his Bull Dogs crumble down the stretch.

I was actually having myself quite a nice night of basketball until NBC decided to air the Texas/WVU game instead of Gonzaga's contest with UCLA. I have utterly no interest in the Longhorns (Texas) and after seeing a near 17 point lead taken by Gonzaga with almost no time left in the first half, I decided to retire and snuggle into sleep with my bear and cat.

I woke up 6 hours later to watch Adam Morrison's heartbreak on the court.

I exclaimed: "What the hell happened last night?"

And then I saw Gonzaga with a comfortable enough lead as they entered the 3 minute mark begin to toss the ball around in order to wind down the clock. Suddenly, these great players began to play footsy with the ball.

You don't possess the ball like a limp wristed Dick Cheney against an opponent in March Madness who is only 5 points behind you!

And you don't do that incredibly stupid thing for the simple reason that your opponent, remember in MARCH MADNESS, will just go CRAZY on your ass the second you let up.

Crazy is exactly how UCLA began to play. They pushed hard, stole hard, and scored hard. Gonzaga was rocked and humiliated. A team can't jump for pussy to frenetic in 10 seconds, nomatter how much inspiration there might be.

And Adam Morrison was left in tears, prone on the court.

That is great basketball, but an incredible shame for such a fantastic team.

A fantastic team who didn't have the balls to finish the game. They deserved to lose...just like Winthrop.

1 comment:

Lita said...

i love it when you give me advance warning that the whole post will be about sports. it gives me such comfort....and saves me so much time. i love you!