Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Death by Mosquitoes

The crazy thing about summertime in the south the hordes of mosquitoes come rolling on by. In my youth they were but an annoyance. Yet now they are harbingers of death.

Well, at least harbingers of death for birds and horses. Maybe cows and other four legged animals two. Though, I do believe the thing has killed people in the past. Or given them nasty stomach aches. So despite the sound logical reality that I am quite the healthy young man, I cannot help but wonder if, every time I step outdoors, winged death might be flying towards me.

It might be the second day of October, but glory be to North Carolina, it is 82 degrees at the time of 10:32 PM. And whilst reclining outside, reading my pulpy fiction, no less that 10 mosquitoes had their way with me.

During each one of those buys I pondered that one, if not all, of those flying monsters might be carrying my death in their fangs...proboscis...probosci?

I think of death, rub my bite(s), and continue reading.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel your pain, PS. I spent three weeks in hell this summer, because of mosquito bites (and, surprisingly, not because I was in Oklahoma at the time). Turns out, I'm extremely allergic to the buggers. Baking soda paste, it helps. Or cool wet socks.

Good luck with that, good luck with school, hope you're doing fantastically well!! xx Erin

I am PS: said...

Cool, wet socks.

You're ingenious, Erin.