Monday, January 23, 2006

Divine Steel

What a fantastic Sunday for football!

The Steelers continued their immaculate run with a deciding win against the Broncos and the Seahawks kicked Carolina from goal post to goal post. I was amazed to see the deserving team walk off the field the victor, in each case. Not to say that doesn't happen, but hot damn, if it wasn't a great exclamation point!

I love the Colts, unequivocally. But there's one thing I love more, those deserving to win winning. And the Steelers, hot tamale, they've waited for this a long damn time. I hope to soon say that about the Colts, but this was not their year. It was the year of Jerome Bettis and Bill Cower, Big Ben and Hines Ward and Troy Polamalu. I truly can't fathom a more deserving team winning the Superbowl. Uh...yeah, who cares about the next few weeks, they've won the Superbowl.

Nothing taking away from the Seahawks, but the minute, yea even second the Colts lost the chance to tie the game with the Steelers last weekend, I threw my hands up and I declared the Steelers Superbowl champions. That said, Mike Holmgren and his strong, stolid Seahawks will put up an amazing fight. I think this will be the most exciting Superbowl I've seen, ever. Two great quarterbacks, two great runningbacks, and two fantastic coaches. Yet, nomatter how decent the Seahawks are, they cannot fight destiny.

And gosh darn it, the Steelers got them some destiny! I remember when Bill Cower was clinging to his job. I remember the constant talk of retirement from Jerome Bettis in the past 3 years. But then I remember, too, the sudden emergence of Big Ben, the resurgence of Jerome Bettis, and the RETURN of the Steel Curtain in the existential form of the "Hairy One."

I wish I could watch this Superbowl 40 with the girl. I'm sad I can't. I just hope we get another classic like this in the next few years so I can show her the true climax of sports.

I'm so excited. (And so freakin' pumped the Panthers lost!)

6 comments:

qta said...

you know I've got to root for the Seahawks... It is their first superbowl (yes?)

I love an underdog

I am PS: said...

(yes, their first in franchise history.)

then i do believe we have a friendly competition on our hands, my dear man.

and then i'll gloat...friendily

I am PS: said...

hmmmmmm...i don't suppose i have much of a chance against the boy whom the German's voted to be their god.

special note: the one dissenting vote was one very lonly German girl.

(where is that boy at?!)

Lita said...

i wish i could be there too....even if i wouldn't understand it.
the girl.

Anonymous said...

wait, has the super bowl passed? or is it coming up? seriously, i have no idea....and, i truly think there is no chance of ever having anyone in our family appreciate the climax of sport....its just not that exciting.

the sister

(oh, please note that i posted anonymously, so that you couldnt interact with me, after i bashed your sport)

I am PS: said...

I'm not that vapid.