Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A King's Immaturity

This past Friday I had the happy opportunity of seeing King Kong with some friends from school. While it is indeed hard to not see every movie on its first weekend of wide release, I have been able to salve my complaint with good friends to surround me. That said, I was disappointed with Kong. Surprisingly, I found it to be an exercise in immature filmmaking.

Now, I think King Kong is a good, solid film. Peter Jackson created a wonderful world which I loved exploring. However, I was expecting an immense film, full of the wonder and humanity that pervaded the Lord of the Rings. What I was left with was a film that felt like it was made by a talented 20 year old.

The shocking aspect of Jackson's Kong was his seeming inability to trust himself. Throughout the entirety of the picture, I got the impression that Jackson felt he was remaking God Himself as he remade the '33 Kong. I love the 1933 version, but it isn't the holy grail. However, Jackson seemed to treat it as precious as an orgasm, hell bent on doing everything in his power to hit the magic spot. And all he did was create a little chaffing along with the good, if underwhelming, sensations.

There is one scene in Kong that encapsulates what I believe to be Jackson's immature handling of the camera on this film. That scene is the reunion of Kong and Anne, wonderfully poignant and heartfelt...for the first 10 seconds. The subsequent 30 seconds of continued and repeated medium/close shots of both Kong and Anne's moist eyes does nothing but undercut the emotion and investment that Jackson built up to this pivotal moment. What a shocking travesty! I don't meant that to be hyperbole, I truly am shocked by Jackson's cut of King Kong. As I told the girl, it felt like Peter Jackson had no confidence in his ability behind the camera and tried too hard. I look forward to seeing if a director's edit of Kong will turn out to be much shorter than the theatrical cut.

*All that said, I am amazed by King Kong, just Kong. The work by Andy Serkis is phenomenal and yet again I clamor for a special Oscar for this fantastic actor. I am a fan of animals and the character they shine forth. And Kong did that! I saw, understood, and loved the character of King Kong. Brilliant work with such an amazing presence. Exaggeration be damned.

No comments: