Friday, January 13, 2006

My Funny lil' Robertson

I honestly don't know what to think of Pat Robertson's recent outburst. Correction: I know what to immediately think, but I'm just not sure where his words are coming from. Obviously he can either be the guy that truly believes he is the voice of God or is just saying what he can to get himself into the headlines. I mean, the fellow did run for Presidential canidacy on the Republican ticket. So I imagine there's a bit of both supporting the candor of his speech. Regardless, I wish the man would just shut up. I know full well what it means to be an evangelical Christian, and it does not mean being a belligerent, confrontational prick - something Pattie is embracing a bit too much lately.

Robertson claimed that Ariel Sharon's illness (and Yitzhak Rabin's death) was possibly "retribution" from God for attempting to divide the "Holy Land." Now, Robertson has since apologized for his words. We shouldn't ignore his contrition, it's a great thing. (If only he had been so contrite with his other words about the coming damnation of God upon the people of Pennsylvania for a collective state - secular - decision.) However, we cannot ignore Robertson's initial words if only because they reveal a frightening trend within the depths of those who hold the Christian voice.

The profound egotism of such comments, that not only declare but go into detail with foreseen punishment of God quite outside any realistic remnant of the prophetic scriptures, is frightening. I've already said much enough about Roberts in a previous delineation, but it is fundamentally important that such a man not be the voice of Christians in this nation or any other. (I have a bit of a problem with Christians having a voice anyway, as if they're some type of political/voting bloc waiting to be exploited...oh...wait...)

There has been outrage over Robertson's latest words: from other Christian groups, the White House, and Israel. I expected all three, though I was surprised (if only by precedence) by the presence of a Christian voice in opposition of Robertson's. Good! Great! While I don't delude myself to believe that such opposition marks a beginning of ephasized humility by Christian leaders, I'm thankful that a few men see the despicable nature of Mr. Pat's (clear Happy Days' reference please) words - even if they only recognize and come out against those words because of 3rd party reaction. It's something, if pathetically little.

Something is something.

No comments: