Thursday, February 02, 2006

Kaine's Got the Goose

Why the hell isn't this fellow the Democratic front runner for the 2008 race? I know the damn thing isn't for another 3 more years, but come on, Ms. Thing and Mr. Wood are already campaigning. Let's get someone representing the Democratic party whom people actually like.

Governor Tim Kaine gave the Democratic response to the President's State of the Union address Tuesday night, and I was gobsmacked. I caught Kaine's speech quite by hapstance as I was just curious to see if I could see someone like Teddy going off against "the Right." Teddy always puts on a good show (see: Monday). I was on the one hand saddened by the lack of Teddy, yet quite heartened, on the other, to see a logical, compassionate response given by Kaine. The theme of "there's a better way" was fantastic, the best response out of a Democratic to Bush that I've heard. Period.

The one unfortunate facet about Kaine's speech is that I am suddenly expecting a lot more from the Democratic party. And I know I won't get it. Of course, I declare the same thing about Bush. I was profoundly delighted to hear many of the divets of Bush's speech. Yet now I except so much, with the sad understanding I won't be satisfied at all. Bush has repeated his assertions that Ammerican needs to kick the oil habit for 5 years without any success. That makes the hippy in my heart quite punchy. And the Indian in me just shed a tear. And the clown inside my brain just had his frown turned upside down. Twice! So many words, so little action.

Or just stupid action.

From both parties.

I would love to see: 1) Republicans working with Democrats and bowing out of the God complex I'm starting to see more often. 2) Democrats refusing to bend to the wealthy elitists who seem to run their party (hey, Republicans could stop doing that too!)

I'd also be pumped to see a guy like Kaine suddenly finding himself with huge numbers of supporters. Not because he's the best, or is the most conceptually conservative Democratic. But because we need someone who can handle the damn goose! Look at the way his hands are wrapped around that lifeless neck. Tender yet firm. I like a man with good hands. (Geez.) Go Kaine!

2 comments:

I am PS: said...

You are right to be cautious, who knows what will come. Hmmm...Barack Obama, I do like him. Ever since the debut of 24 I've always really liked the idea of black Presidents. And also white henchman who have the coolest way of saying, "Dammit!"

I believe it is "Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaawwwwwww!" There was a definitely "Ya" at the beginning of Dean's death cry.

Anonymous said...

Kaine is awesome. I'm living in Virginia now and have heard great things about him.

How've you been?