Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Kelly's Grammys: Thatta Girl

I have an unabashed love of Kelly Clarkson. I do not deny it and am even quite proud of it. I dig Clarkson's music not because she's incredibly cute and certainly not because of American Idol. Rather, I put Clarkson on the same pedastal of Journey and Iron Maiden because she has a fantastic role in todays music that has not been touched since the days of Pat Benatar - powerful chick rock.

Sure, the stuff is poppy, but it's also edgy and makes me giggle. Even if I might be deluded about the edginess, no one can deny my giggles.

So, needless to say, I was quite pumped to see Kelly Clarkson rack up Grammys for Female Vocal and Pop Vocal Album. Nice done, Miss Independent (which was apparently co-written along with Christina Aguilera, who knew?). Nicely done.

But the Grammys weren't just about the punkiest Idol ever (whose nose ring gives me hope for if the girl ever gets her nose pierced). Indeed not!

Here are my thoughts on the rest of the Grammys, a week or so later. (When in the hell were the Grammys, anyway?)

The U2/Mary J. Blige performance of "One" was killer, even if Bono clearly is anti-touchy-feely whilst strumming his guitar:


Really, didn't Chris Martin seem a little...a touch...a smidge....high? Great performance though, though for the first time mainly because of a great guitar solo. (Stupid bitmap images and their inability to be cool and load.)

Gorillaz? Awesome!

Madonna? I prefer the video, thank you.

2 comments:

qta said...

I am so with you on Kelly Clarkson!!!!

I am PS: said...

Brother in arms!