Tuesday, April 25, 2006

My Trip to Brokeback

It's personally insulting how long it took for me to see Brokeback Mountain. A film so critically acclaimed and so deliciously contested, yet three months passed before it came before my eyes. (Isn't it tragically indicative of how crippled my movie-going experience is that I thought Brokeback was released last summer?)

**Edit: So did not mean to post this for obvious reasons - my thoughts are minimalist! Shall come back soon enough. Aren't you waiting with baited breath?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

two words regarding mr ang lee, director of this film: THE HULK

I am PS: said...

Wow, I so did not mean to post that yet.

Geez.

I do hate The Hulk as much as anyone, but I still like Lee.

qta said...

right.... lee also directed The Ice Storm, The Wedding Banquet, Sense and Sensibility... and... I kinda liked The Hulk

I am PS: said...

The Hulk was more of an exercise in disappointment for me. Lee had some amazing ideas and shots - hell, Josh Lucas died in 2-D.

2-freakin'-D!

However, that said, I was surprised at how almost lifeless the movie was. I truly think Lee was just over his head in the genre. Way too over the top. Admittedly there are two movies in his bag that represent Lee's seeming difficulty in grounding himself when not ensconced in recognizable reality - Hulk, obviously, and Crouching Tiger.