Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Tool's New'un


On May 2nd, Tool releases "10,000 Days." It's been 5 years since "Laterulas", my favorite Tool CD to date.

I knew guys in highschool who listened to Tool. They had the patches on their bookbags and were the quintessential tools and stoners. I knew who Tool was but, given that it took me a few years to get my bearings in pop culture, some time passed before I was fully acquainted with Tool. Fast forward to the summer of 2001, I believe, when I bought my first Tool album, the aforementioned "Lateralus." Exciting, meaningful, Christian-bashing rock'n'roll. I'm not a fan of the Christian bashing, but I see the truth in it. I wonder what Maynard would say if he knew one of his fans was a devoted to the God who "Wear(s) the grudge like a crown of negativity."

Also a huge fan of A Perfect Circle, Maynard's more intimate side project. I actually listened to A Perfect Circle far earlier than I did Tool, so at least knew what Tool could be like given my fascination and deep appreciation for A Perfect Circle. There was a girl in a church I used to go to who, at one point during a discussion about popular culture, broke down in tears over the hatred of God expressed by bands like Tool. I can understand her tears, truly. But I can't fathom them because I simply cannot refuse great music. I used to not be able to listen to Circle's "Judith." It contains the lyric "Fuck your God." Pretty hard for me to swallow. Yet, I gave a lot of time and consideration to the song even though I'd heard it only once or twice - it had such an amazing rock element. I realized that the lyric was a condemnation of the ignorance of Christians, which I am so completely in support of, and not, perhaps, of God Himself. It is truly worthy to listen to someone's thoughts about my religion, my God, and my faith - perhaps even when those words are laced with such venom and hatred. Truth behind the hatred. Maybe truth we can erradicate. Uplifting, eh?

Back to the topic at hand...

I'm listening to the first track off of "10,000 Days." The song, "Vicarious," is vintage Tool. Epic at 7 minutes and 8 seconds, percussive and riffing, all with Maynard's haunting and explosive voice. Yet while the song might be vintage Tool, apparently the album is not. And it's getting a hell of a lot of grief for it.

I'll wait and giddily await my chance to listen to the latest offering from my favorite hard rock band.

Freakin' A.

1 comment:

Lita said...

dude, i expect you to have that album by the time i hit south carolina soil.