Wednesday, April 05, 2006

So What Am I?

As of this past Saturday, I learned of Virginia's decision to admit me into their grad program. Wahoo! Of course, I found out in the most anticlimactic of ways: online. Despite that, colour me excited and whatnot. However, I was already accepted into Chapel Hill and wanted to give them enough time to send out their financial package to another student if I, "oh please oh please oh please," was accepted into Virginia with lots and lots of money. So I ventured out and sent an e-mail to the Graduate Studies director, asking for news about financial aid. Simple answer: there was none. And there were no reasonable opportunities for funding outside of a loan.

Shucks. Shucks for two reasons. One, I desperately wanted to go to Virginia so I could finally establish myself just a hop, skip, and a jump away from the girl. Two, I had to twist Virginia's arm to tell me anything. Fact is I still haven't received anything in the mail. Kinda lame, dude, kinda lame.

So. No Virginia and no Maryland. And with Delaware and UNC-Greensboro offering 115% and 80%, respectively, less funding than Chapel Hill, easy decision eh?

No, not quite. I needed a period of mourning. I was incredibly jazzed at the possibility of attending Viriginia and living not only so close to the girl but also attending a University that she's somewhat interested in transferring to. We've existed for 2 years and change at no closer than 6 hours (by my driving, 7 by Mapquest) apart for more than 2 weeks. Regardless of looking a gift horse in the mouth and being a bastard for whining about the incredible opportunity at CH, it was upsetting that Virginia just isn't an option.

But that was Monday and Tuesday. Today is Wednesday.

Today is the day that I fully accepted the offer to become a graduate Tar Heel.

4 comments:

qta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
qta said...

dear PS

first... congrats on getting into so many good schools... what does Maryland know anyway? except how to kick UNC's and Duke's asses in basketball!!!!!!!!! Go Lady Terps!

ehm... sorry...

second... I think you are making the right choice. UNC is a great school, and will help you go far, and will give you kick ass funding... so what if you have to suffer humiliating defeats at the hands of the Terps... that would happen at Virginia as well.

Go ACC!!!!

Lita said...

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

6 hours is nothing in the face of an awesome school and, if i do say so, enough funding to allow for some pretty fucking awesome weekends away! with me! hehehehehehehehehehe.
i love you and yay yay yay!

I am PS: said...

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damion...you and I, my friend, will have some good times.

Good times!