Friday, April 21, 2006

Satisfying the Movie Whore Inside Me pt. 1

There are particular moments in time that I cherish above all others. Kissing the girl, reading/writing while lounging in pillowy grass, and watching beautiful trees sway in the wind rank as the top three. However, there is one experience that may even trump all three of those. Or at least two of them. 'Cause I do enjoy a good kiss, even gnome kisses are quality.

Nevertheless, I'm a sucker for a quality experience with movies. So much so that I have a hard time justifying watching a mediocre movie by myself for the pure enjoyment of the film. I certainly can, hell I saw "Bring It On" by myself just to giggle unashamedly for an hour and a half. (A goodish story involving me, a cop, and expired tags followed my fateful viewing of Kirsten Dunst's masterwork. Stay tuned for that one if I ever get to it.) Of course, I did see "Bring It On" in the theatre and I almost need no justification whatsoever to go see a movie at the theatre. Yet taking the time and sitting on a couch by myself for cinematic joy is incredibly hard for me to justify. To wit, the last movie I watched by my lonesome on the tub was "Oldboy" and I have "Irreversible" and "Requiem for a Dream" still waiting for me.

I'm hard to please, man.

So, it's clearly a tough deal for me to actually pick movies for myself. That said, I'm entirely more engageable when I have another soul to spy with. And last weekend, as I wanted some quality time with my mother, I picked out three movies which I thought would provide at least some interestin' viewin'. I am pleased to say that I still have the golden touch of choosing movies - a golden touch which does NOT apply to groups larger than 4 people and include...certain people. I cannot be held responsible in that case. Large groups that do not contain like minded souls perplex me. I chose "Punch Drunk Love" for a New Years bash a few years ago because I thought it one of the sweetest and most brilliantly filmed love stories. I still think that, even with Sandler as the lead. But simply not for souls who like a challenge.

Regardless, on to the movies!

Movie #1: A History of Violence
I'm now convinced that Maria Bello is the most gorgeous woman I've ever seen on film. And that's not just because she engaged in definitely the most sensuous 69 and one of most emotional fucks I've seen on screen. Don't get me wrong, those are surely reasons. Yet her beauty on screen flies far from her sexuality and attractiveness. The body of her work in this film, in fantastic tandem with the swarmy Viggo, is so full and passionate. I challenge you to work her performance in this film and not stand amazed. Now, I'm not saying hers is the greatest performance of any woman. However, I do acknowledge the wonderful character she wove together.

As a whole, the "A History of Violence" is incredibly difficult to watch. Difficult because the humanity exuded is so complete and total. I felt as if I were on a roller coaster, both excited and dreading the certain end. However, I also challenge you to expect this ending. There is such emotion and consuming fire throughout the work. Brilliant.

Movie #2: Ladies in Lavender
This was my film 'specially for m'mom. She likes the films about old women and the high octane antics they get into. Put the old ones in Britain and my mom is even more sold than before. Count me sold as well. The only movie I've seen to truly capitalize on this apparently new genre of film is "Calendar Girls." However, that's all on the word of my parents. Despite my delight in Helen Mirren, I have not seen the gal prance around nearly buff. I have, though, seen Dame Judy Dench lust after a 20 year old boy. It's an interesting sight to behold, I assure you.

"Ladies" is a lovely film. Evocative of a sweet time and place I've only seen created so well before by Rosamunde Pilcher. In addition, the violin plays a centerpiece of sorts to the heart of "Lavender." This is good. But even better? The violin is played by Joshua Bell. He's not the most talented of players, but when it comes to it, he can be gratifyingly electric. The girl should know him.


Movie #3: Elizabethtown

Huge fan of Cameron. But when "Elizabethtown" came out, I avoided it like the plague. As much as I keep hoping for Orlando Bloom to find a role to shine in, I couldn't bare seeing him struggle through this emotional fare. Kirsten Dunst is one of those actresses that I can only imagine is where she is because of decent but not great talent and fabulous luck. I can't say this definitively, but Dunst seems to play the same voice and face in every role she plays. It's incredibly distracting. However, I gave it a try, largely based on the sister's recommendation.

It was good. Not surprising from Cameron Bruce Crowe. More than that, though, is how decently both Bloom and Dunst acted. Dunst I could tolerate and Bloom, while he admittedly had at least two really cringe-worthy moments, was respectable. However, the engaging thing was their chemistry. It made the movie enjoyable. What made the movie fantastic? The music.

Two words: Great Music.

And with that, I'm done. Movie Whore very full and sated with a smug grin.

3 comments:

I am PS: said...

Andrew, unfortunately I do not have a story to rival your own in regards to knowing the locale of a movie well enough to pick out discrepancies. However, "4 Weddings and a Funeral" gave my dad quite the thrill of being able to say "There's the M1!" and when I saw "The Truman Show" the theatre erupted in applause when Charlotte, NC was mentioned.

I am PS: said...

Higgidty

Lita said...

ok...Joshua Bell...prolly one of the greatest, i don't know where you get your sense of magnitude from.

and may i just say, TEA WITH MUSSOLINI! ! ! ! ! ! ! watch it you freak. Those women always wear the exact same outfits in all their movies.

kristin d will always always always just be "little amy" to me.