Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Queen...ON IDOL!

I am an unabashed fan of Queen. Freddie Mercurcy, in the words of Marilyn Manson, is my own personal jesus...after the real deal, of course. I LOVE Queen. I'm not obsessed...I don't think. I have one poster, a fabulous Bohemian tour poster I found at the beach. I have one shirt bought at the "We Will Rock You" musical in London. And of course I have as many songs as I've been able to find. "Bohemian Raphsody" is a constant companion on road trips, along with "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "We Will Rock You." ("Princes of the Universe" is my own personal Queen first, so I keep it in special reserve so that brand new song smell never fades.)

Needless to say, I'm super excited for tonight's American Idol! For, friends, not only are the contestants singing the songs of Queen, the band (I believe, though I'm not positive) will be on as well!

Wahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I have to admit something. Last weekend, being the occassional pop culture whore that I am, I watched the Idol elimination show. When it became clear that Taylor Hicks was safe and the revelation of the Queen extravaganza became clear, I threw my hands up in the air and celebrated. I've never quite seen a performer like Hicks (think funky, bluesy, hillbilly chique) and the chance to see him sing Queen absolutely kicks my ass.

I am so pumped. For the first time in my life I will be watching an entire episode of American Idol! This reminds me of the series that sought to find a replacement for the unconquerable Michael Hutchence (lead singer of INXS). An epidsode also featured the music of Queen and included a pathetic performance of Bohemian by some blonde-haired chick. I really couldn't stand it...I think they might have even brought in a choir. I thought it was appropriate that she was voted out after her preformance of Raphsody in a very un-Queen like way. You don't mess with Mercury. Hutchense's eventual replacement, JD Fortune, on the other hand was quite delightful that night.

So I have my fingers crossed.

I'm pumped, I'm excited, I would be having friends over if they were cool enough to like Queen. I don't so - that are close enough anyway, otherwise I would have my ass planted on Damion's sofa - pffbt on them!

Watch Idol!

2 comments:

qta said...

you know i am going to watch it as well... but... it is so going to SUCK! Get prepared for that PS. NOBODY, and I do mean NOBODY can touch Freddie Mercury. These kids are going down tonight. I can only hope that I do not break my television int he process... the little country, blonde woman is singing "Bohemian Rhapsody".... ewwwwww. i will surely blog on it later.

qta said...

Oh, and you know that you would be welcome on my couch. we could break my tv together.